What I want for my patients is what I want for my family.
A physician who listens to my goals, concerns, and fears and addresses them all in a kind and compassionate way.
I want to know what holistic therapies are available to treat my children, my husband, and myself before I take prescription medicine.
I want a doctor who believes in the body’s intrinsic ability to heal.
I want a doctor who seeks to discover the root causes of my ailments when they are unclear.
I want a doctor who collaborates with me to achieve and maintain my highest health potential.
Dr. Alejandra Carrasco
Alejandra Carrasco, M.D. is board certified in both Family Medicine and Integrative and Holistic Medicine. She is a certified practitioner by the Institute of Functional Medicine and has spent the last decade studying nutrition, integrative, preventative, and functional medicine.
During medical school, Dr. Alex spent time training with Dr. Andrew Weil at the University of Arizona Program of Integrative Medicine and in New York at Beth Israel’s Continuum Center for Health and Healing. In 2008, she did research with M.D. Anderson’s Integrative Medicine Center, focusing on nutritional interventions in cancer therapy, namely omega-3 fatty acids and medicinal mushrooms.
She is married to Daniel Carrasco, M.D., a local dermatologist, and they have 3 joyful and beautiful children named Camila, Lucho, and Bruno.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Alex loves to garden and read.
- 2017 – Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner
- 2012 – Fellow of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine
- 2011 – Fellow of the American Board of Family Medicine
- 2011 – Completion of Graduate Medical Education in Family Medicine at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin, TX
- 2007 – Doctor of Medicine from the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX
- 2003 – Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Spanish Translation from Rice University in Houston, TX
Nourish Medicine is the integrative functional medical practice of Dr. Alejandra Carrasco, based in Austin, TX.
At Nourish Medicine, Dr. Alex provides compassionate and collaborative medical care that blends the best of conventional medicine with an integrative functional medicine approach. Her goal is to find the root causes of ailments, not to mask their symptoms temporarily.
Proven, natural therapies are always considered first, with standard conventional therapies available when needed.