Ever wonder what to do with those beautiful orange persimmons that abound in farmers markets at this time of year?
Well, how about a delicious green persimmon smoothie? Persimmons come in two varieties: fuyu and hachiya. Fuyus look like squat little tomatoes and hachiyas are more elongated.
Persimmons are chock-full of goodness, containing:
- many health benefiting phytonutrients and antioxidants like catechins, gallocatechins, vitamin-A, beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, zea-xanthin and cryptoxanthin which scavenge free radicals and have anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties
- the anti-tumor compound betulinic acid
- healthy amounts of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and phosphorus.
- high levels of vitamin-C
nourished green persimmon smoothie:
- 1 very soft hachiya persimmon
- 1 ripe bartlett pear, cored
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 large purple kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup of ice
Slice open the persimmon and scoop out the flesh into the blender, add pear, purple kale, almond milk, ice, and generous amount of cinnamon. Blend until smooth. Add extra water or almond milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Makes 2 large servings.