Fall is hands-down my favorite season.
The abundance of the harvest is captivating and uplifting, but the togetherness of fall is really what speaks to my heart.
I really love the gatherings that fall brings. And what better way to celebrate the abundance of the season than with a nourishing and hearty fall salad?
Joining together to create a nutritional trifecta, kale, butternut squash and hazelnuts really shine in this dish, and turmeric always packs an anti-inflamatory and life-lengthening punch.
If you dread cutting up a whole squash, you can buy it already diced in the produce aisle of your local grocery store.
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes (or peel and dice a ½ pound butternut squash)
- 3 tablespoons coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces beet greens, kale chopped or meslcun baby greens
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped herbs such as rosemary or thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ pound cooked chicken or turkey
296 calories, 15 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 16 g sugars, 11 g fat (9 g saturated), 110mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 438 mg sodium.